The Sales Engineer (SE) works in support of the Division Manager to design, estimate, and propose solutions to customers. This person will work with existing customers to look for new work and visit new customers to find projects to quote. This position is often involved in the project from beginning to end in one capacity or another.
The SE contributes to a broad spectrum of construction elements and functions, initiating sales and projects, enhancing project flow, improving customer relations, anticipating and solving problems, and assisting to maintain an efficient and positive working environment. This emphasizes the need for the SE to continually practice excellent communication skills and to maintain a problem-solving mindset, to anticipate problems, and to develop constructive and balanced solutions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential functions/responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Productivity and Quality
- Responsible for estimating projects based on customers’ needs and specifications.
- Work with APCCO Engineering team to develop project concept.
- Prepare projected project cost with a focus of maximum profitability, accuracy, and safety.
- Develop sales proposals and meet with customers’ present concepts and potential solutions.
- Attend all weekly Construction, Design Review, 50% Job Completion, and 100% Job Completion meetings.
- Assist in load calculations for buildings and processes common to refrigeration applications.
- Complete and detailed system design and analysis.
- Work with Engineering Team to achieve Equipment selection, Vessel sizing, Valve selections, Control System specifications, Layout of equipment, Flow Diagrams, P&IDs, and Control Wiring Diagram.
- Audit and evaluation of existing systems for troubleshooting, load verification, expansion calculations, etc.
- Project manage all small to mid-sized projects and on occasion, larger projects depending on the Division’s current work volume and availability of other team resources.
- Continually adhere to company standards for both Engineering and Estimating.
- Assist other areas/personnel regarding engineering assistance.
- Visit and call existing customers to look for new work and visit new customers to find projects to quote.
- Maintain working relationship with customers by consistently answering questions and proposing ideas. Follow up on completed projects, quoting new projects as needed.
- Make decisions based on customer needs, desires, and expectations and on APCCO standards, not on personal preferences, style, or theory.
- Maintain free-flowing information and cooperation between customer and APCCO project team.
- Work with project team to find best approaches to handle customer requests.
- Responsible for estimating and projects in a manner that allows them to achieve 20% or greater Gross Profit Margin.
- Responsible for estimating man hours, deciding difficulty and feasibility of projects, preparing projected project cost, writing and sending the proposal to our customer.
- Estimate and propose upcoming projects.
- Use resources in most effective manner, including sharing cost savings ideas with project management team.
- Abide by approved budgets.
- Keep Cost Projections up to date and accurate for all projects.
- Manage project budgets and expeditiously work with customers to secure Change Orders based on changes to the project.
- Support a positive team atmosphere by modeling and promoting teamwork, diversity, cooperation, communication, professionalism and respectful mannerisms among all APCCO team members, and hold others accountable to do the same.
- Customer Service & Client Focus
- Technical Capacity
- Communication Proficiency
- Financial Mgmt.
- Presentations Skills
- Ethical Conduct
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment and is in an open room with constant activity and interaction with cross-functional divisions, departments and sections. This role routinely uses standard office equipment, such as computers, phone, photocopies, filing cabinets, fax machines and other equipment as needed. This job will also at times be at customer’s locations, where the environment will be open, loud and have various pieces of equipment and in use, along with the exposure to a variety of sights and smells, including a variety of processing chemicals.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Extensive knowledge of industrial refrigeration systems.
- Knowledge, skill, and ability to design and estimate industrial refrigeration projects in a timely and precise manner.
- Proficient in AutoCAD
- Become fluent in Microsoft Project and all other APCCO computer programs and applications.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK:
This is a full-time position. Days and hours are Monday through Friday _8_am to _5_ pm, however, based on the needs of the job, work hours may vary.
Travel is expected for this position, based on the duties to service the needs of the customer(s).
REQUIRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Experience quoting and selling industrial refrigeration and mechanical work.
- 10 plus years working with increased responsibility in the Construction Industry.
- 3 years’ experience designing and estimating ammonia refrigeration system/solutions.
- All APCCO employees who drive company owned vehicles or drive their own vehicle for company purposes:
- Must read, understand and follow the requirements of the APCCO Motor Vehicle Policy and Vehicle Maintenance Policy
- Maintain a valid driver’s license
- Provide a clear DMV record that is insurable with our company vehicle insurance carrier, including no accidents, incidents or DUI in the past 5 years (and updated annually)
- Participate in company-sponsored programs to maintain or improve driver safety
PREFERRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Licensed Professional Engineer
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / REQUIREMENTS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that are necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
|4. Lifting (weight 10 lbs.)||X|
|5. Heaviest weight lifted (20 lbs.)||X|
|6. Carrying (weight 10 lbs.)||X|
|7. Heavy weight carried (20 lbs.)||X|
|9. Weight pushed/pulled (25 lbs.)||X|
|15. Reach above shoulder||X|
|16. Work above shoulder||X|
|17. Walk on uneven ground||X|
|18 Fine manipulation||X|
|19. Gross manipulation||X|
|20. Simple grasping||X|
|21. Power grip||X|
|22. Hand twisting||X|
|23. Twisting of body||X|